Innovation Districts: the magic is in the mix!
4 oktober - 11:30 - 12:15
Hall A2, conference room A21
Ready to unlock the allure of mixed-use real estate as a prime investment?
Around the globe, visionaries from both the public and private sectors are pioneering urban areas known as innovation districts. What’s their secret sauce? A rich blend of physical and social assets that attract a vast array of firms and talents, fueling interactions and skyrocketing innovation. This requires a healthy mix of uses and activities, which can include institutional, residential, cultural, commercial, light manufacturing, retail, dining, and a range of “innovation spaces”.
That’s already The Hague’s Central Innovation District: home to 50.000 residents, 80.000 professionals, and 30.000 students, nestled between the city’s bustling train stations. By 2040, we’ll be rolling out the red carpet for an additional 35.000 residents, 8.000 students and 25.000 office users, accommodated in 20.500 homes, 640.000 m2 high quality offices and over 250.000 m2 of state-of-the-art facilities. The challenge? Crafting this eclectic mix in towering high-rises. While mixed-use buildings are the dream for innovation districts, they don’t always resonate with investors, especially when it comes to large-scale, vertical integration.
Join our panel as we dive deep into this dilemma, seeking innovative solutions from diverse vantage points:
- What are key drivers for success in innovation districts and what are definite ‘do not’s’?
- How can we amplify the sales allure and potential revenue of mixed-use buildings, without dimming their innovation sparkle?
- Who are the champions we need in our corner to elevate the appeal and feasibility of mixed-use real estate?
- If the realization of mixed-use buildings is financially difficult, how can we achieve a good mix of functions in a limited area? In other words, does mixing functions in a small area have the same effect as mixing functions in a building?
- Would government support still make the realization of mixed-use buildings possible?
- What international region or city can stand as an inspiring example for Dutch cities and regions?
Outline of the debate:
- Short introduction of the topics and debaters – Aeisso Boelman
- Pitch by Robert van Asten of CID The Hague (alderman for Urban Development, Strategy and Europe/Deputy Mayor, city of The Hague)
- Pitch by Stijn Steenbakkers (Vice Mayor Brainport, Economy and Spoorzone (Knoop XL), city of Eindhoven)
- Reflection on and discussion about both pitches and key issues by Rene Buck (CEO BCI Global)
- Debate following above questions, followed by concluding remarks